Tuesday, October 12, 2010

THE SOCIAL NETWORK


 "You don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies"

When I wake up in the morning, I do three things: I jump start my brain with coffee, I feed my english bulldog Ballerina, I check Facebook and my email accounts. And so do you, because say what you will about Facebook, but we love the thing, no matter how much we complain about the lack of privacy. Facebook has changed our culture more than any other recent invention. I really enjoyed THE SOCIAL NETWORK, it's surprising that no one had done a film about it before. Very well written, beautifully directed, filled with fine performances, I absolutely ADORED the soundtrack. The Social Network gets 2 thumbs up. Somehow though, it was also a little scary. As Justin Timberlake pointed out- he plays the role of Napster co-founder, Sean Parker "I think it really touches on the younger generations and that 'we want what we want and we want it really fast" [mentality]. "We have the internet now, where we can do that. We talk fast, we walk fast, we think fast." In the opening scene, Zuckerberg and his girlfriend, Erica, a student at Boston University, sit in a campus bar, drinking beer. "You don't have to study" he tells her. "How do you know I don't have to study?" she asks. "Because you go to B.U.!" Erica takes his hand, stares at him and says "listen, you're going to be successful and rich, but you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a tech geek. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole." 
Well done Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg. Impeccable interpretation.
Now one thing I don't get is this: Justin Timberlake HOT? says who? To me he's not, I'd rather have Jesse Eisenberg any day, but that's just me.

No comments: